Saturday, December 10, 2005

December Deja-Vu

Holidays in a holiday in a holiday are over. The school holidays are 2/3 way through. This is my life so far...

The "wedding of the year" in my family happened on the 26th Nov. Ee-Ee Melinda was marrying Uncle Abel. The morning began with Ee-Ee Melinda offering tea to her parents. Following that Uncle Able had to bargain his way in, first drinking milk from a bottle, eating baby food, then "savouring" wasabi ice-cream..finally they let him in after he crooned "Mice Love Rice". Oh bother. The bride, now dressed in tradition Chinese kua for the tea ceremonies. Everyone older than her was offered tea: grand aunties, grand uncles, aunties, uncles, my parents...
When we arrived later that evening at the Grand Hyatt, the ballroom foyer was already crowded with people hobnobbing around, elegantly dressed in evening wear. I wore a brand new blue-striped shirt from Dockers, which I bought from Orlando, and a blue-orange Chinese calligraphy tie, which I bought from Beijing. (I bought and saved it just for prom! But it never was to be for us xp)
Most of the female guests, were clad in the tradition sarong kebaya for this occasion, complete with beaded slippers and ornate pins, while their spouses wore batik print shirts. My maternal family has a Peranakan Nonya-Baba heritage, thus its natural they'd want to wear their tradition garb (IMHO the sarong kebaya is one elegant outfit!). As with all wedding dinners, we began late. The bride, originally dressed in a kebaya to mingle with the guests, was now in a pearl-white wedding gown. To the strains of "You Lift Me Up", the bride and bridegroom made a rather simple entrance, a break away from the traditional dramatic big-bang-loud-music entrance. The Chinese fare served was disappointingly not to high standards. I loved the Shark's Fin soup though. Had two bowls myself =D Halfway through the bridal couple reappeared at the entrance, this time with a change of dress. The usual "yam-seng" toasts. Then back to dinner while the bridal couple made their way taking photographs with guests. Nothing notable came of this occasion, just a simple wedding.

For the rest of the time up till now I didn't do much. Most of the mornings, training. Then my sis and I went to learn bowling. Never had I bowled before, I was really only too happy to learn. It's really easy to pickup, but practicing ensures that you remember the steps. Also, coordination is important.

Last Sunday I attended this Youth General Meeting at the invitation of my friend Nick. He wanted me to have a glimpse of his Soka Association, so I obliged. Theres this large hall where everyone gathers. After Buddhist Soka chantings, the YGM concert began. Hmm I thought only Christian organisations have this stuff, so Buddhist organisations have them too. Guess I'm too out of touch with my religion. An eye-opening experience anyway. After that Nick and I went "towning"...guang4jie1...

Celebrated a few birthdays. First was my cousin Denisa's, a simple dinner at my grandmother's house. Next was my Er-Ee's birthday at J8: Chicken Little movie followed by Secret Recipe Dinner. Last was my god-grandmother's birthday (actually she's just my grandauntie who "adopted" my mum) at Traders. As usual, the glutton in me took over, rushing to pile my plate with everything from the buffet. The best part was dessert, and I greedily took 3 plates of cakes, jelly, fruits, as well as fruits and biscuits dipped in chocolate (they have this fountain of chocolate where you can skew a piece of fruit of biscuit and dip it in the fountain). As if that wasn't enough, I took a large bowl piled high with ice-cream, then another large bowl with a whole mountain of ice which was ice kachang. If you could imagine, the pain that followed this meal. In addition to trying not to spew out contents of my meal, my distended stomach (really it was) was a constant source of gnawing pain. Thankfully, the pain subsided within half an hour while we went to Tangs to shop. Bought a casual shirt from Island Shop for CNY. Just the shirt to keep me (feeling) cool. Well actually I already bought a Polo RL shirt from Orlando for CNY, but its plain compared to this Island Shop shirt.

Last week saw my sis and I tagging along with my mum to shop. Met them at Country Road. While I had already gotten my CNY shirts (and my mum warned me that I would get no more shirts from this shopping spree), it was now my sis' turn. She was on the lookout for Bohemian dresses to flaunt her new blue Nikes with. Lunched at Taka food court (hate eating there...so disorganised and crowded). Headed to Centrepoint. Gosh Times the bookstore has really shrunk so much since it's heyday! Thereafter we went to Paragon, (saw Linus along the way...we noticed each other and conveniently coolly passed without acknowledgement at first) where my mum bought a lovely bag for herself/her sister (she hasn't really decided). My sis spotted a beautiful Bohemian blue dress at Polo RL, but the exorbitant $700 price tag put her off. Went downstairs to Starbucks. They were giving out free coffee in return for donations to Salvation Army. Had a nice vanilla latte and cheesecake myself = )

Hmm, this bowling thing is so deja-vu. 4 years ago after my PSLE my sis was swimming competitively, so I started too since I was free. Now my sis has finished her PSLE and wants to bowl, so I'm joining her since I'm free. Hmm...if all goes according to plan I know what comes next. We'll see then...

Anyway I gotta leave now for another round of shopping! = )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter